circles

Summertime is drawing to an end and I'm not ready.  I feel like there's more I need to do (even though I've done plenty).  My dog Milla is reaching the end of her life.  It has made me sad this summer.  She'll be 16 in November and I have a feeling she won't be with us next summer.  It's been a roller coaster of emotions watching her age this past year.  We didn't take any vacations this summer because we couldn't put her in a kennel and we knew we would worry ourselves silly even with a pet sitter.  Traveling with her was not an option either.  Some days I feel like we are getting close to saying goodbye and then other days her zest for life emerges when she enjoys her stinky chew bones outside or her walk down the path behind our house to sniff her favorite bushes.  I hope we will know when it's time if we have to make that decision.  I've never had a dog for 16 years.  Our other dog, Bart, had cancer at 12 years and we knew the decision then.  She's a tough dog that's for sure.  We didn't name her "Milla Runs Wild" for nothing!



I haven't made a lot of soap lately.  I took a little break after the mantra swirl soap challenge.  I wanted to let my soaps cure and try my different recipes.  They are all very similar with small changes.  I'm always fascinated with experiments and results.  Cocoa butter vs. shea butter or castor oil vs. no castor oil.  I even tried a no butter recipe recently as sometimes I just can't bear the thought of using a butter in soap!  Maybe because I looked at how much I've spent on soaping supplies!  Does butter matter?

Besides soap experiments, I've been doing more mad scientist experiments again.  I always feel the need to test one more ingredient.  It's exhausting, but I need to know how different emulsifiers work or how different oils or butters feel in my products.  I just need to be sure!  I have a lot of recipes that say "Final" on them and that feels good to me.  I have to realize that nothing will ever be "perfect" and that's OK because it's close enough.  I think one of my faults is that I'll love a recipe and then think "hey, why don't I replace this oil with that oil since I'm already using that oil in something else?"  Seems like an efficient plan, but then it changes the product.  My husband finally said to just leave it alone and make it the way I like it.  So....lesson learned.  I need to quit going in circles.

Comments

  1. Milla is a sweetheart and while ever she has those 'good' days she is happy.

    I don't tweak my recipes too much. I research so much before creating each one and if it works how I envisioned then I leave well enough alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your sweet dog... I am sure you will enjoy every last minute with her. I know what you mean about butters... in costing and looking at profits I think about it as well - I have always used shea butter in my soaps (palm-free) but will probably do an experiment without and test out the difference. Let us know how yours come out without butter! I like to play with new recipes as well. Keeps it all interesting!! xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      I tend to use shea butter if I make a palm free soap. But, in general I use organic, sustainable palm oil in my soaps. Just enough to make them hard enough. I just made a batch of soap without a butter and put in about 0.5 oz greek yogurt per pound of oils (0% fat because I had some in the fridge). Now I just need to let it cure for 6 weeks (my preferred cure time). I'll have to do a post on it.

      Delete
  3. Aw, it must be such a difficult time for you, Milla is such a sweetheart.

    I know what you mean about playing around with your recipes, I am constantly wanting to try new things...I drive myself crazy sometimes! We must love a challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about Milla...what a sweet dog. I go through the same thing. I love putting cocoa butter in soap...and I feel if I don't use palm oil, then a butter should be in there! I can't make up my mind on castor just yet...there are times I feel I don't need it, but then I use a soap with castor in it and think I need it. I just made my first bastille..no palm or butter...will see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found my way to your blog through nature garden's list =)
    I haven't made ANY soap yet... I dont have a very well ventilated area to work in...and dont have access to melt and pour soap bases T.T i live in a country where this art is next to non existent. I love soaps and would love to work with them but as I am limited in some cases, I make do with reading soap making blogs and imagining myself making soaps of my own someday...*dreams away*
    I have to tell you that reading about Mila made me tear up. I lost a beloved pet a few years ago and I can only say that whether you lose them or have to say goodbye, its like a piece of your heart goes with them. It is very very hard, but she is a lucky girl to have someone who loves her so. When that time will come, she will move on to a better place, tucked safe and beloved in your memories forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting! I'm sorry you haven't been able to make soap yet. Maybe someday you can! I love reading soap making blogs too and get a lot of inspiration from them.

      It's very hard to lose a pet. We just said goodbye to Milla a few days ago. It was hard, but you are right, she moved on to a better place, tucked safe and beloved in my memories forever. She's at peace now. Thank you for your kind words. They helped me a lot.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts