body scrubs

I'm not sure why, but I am totally obsessed with making emulsified body scrubs.  I've been making them for a few years now.  I love trying different emulsifiers and different ingredients to see the end results and how my skin feels.  There's nothing like the feel of soft and smooth skin after a shower.  They are especially great in the winter.

I've made salt and sugar scrubs and for some reason I just love salt scrubs.  I've played with table salt, pickling and canning salt, and various types of sea salts.  Fine grained sea salt is my favorite since I find it to be gentle on my skin and seems to last the longest in the shower.  The only drawback is if I have a scrape on my leg from mountain biking and the salt hits it...ouch... a little bit of a burn.  Oh and you can't use salt on freshly shaved skin either.  Yikes!  But, I think the results are worth the extra care.  What do you prefer? Salt or sugar scrubs?

Here's a salt scrub I made last week with BTMS (Behentrimonium Methosulfate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol), shea butter, and high-oleic safflower oil among other things.  I scented it with a blend of Sweet Peas & Rhubarb from Soapalooza and Sea Kelp from Rustic Escentuals.  This was right after making it and packaging it.  It was on the soft side at first, but stiffened up a bit more over 24 hours.  It's important to not judge the consistency of scrub on the first day as it can still harden over time depending on the ingredients used.


Here's the same scrub after being used several times.  I'm careful to not get water in the scrub so that I can keep the consistency the same.  I use a preservative also.  You can see that it has lost some of the opacity and is a bit more translucent.  What I love is that it is still scoopable and didn't get too hard or waxy.  This feels great in the shower too.  I also love to leave these uncolored.  


I just realized that I'm almost out!  Time to make more!  What are some of your favorite fragrances for scrubs?  Do you like citrus, margarita, floral, herbal, vanilla types?


Comments

  1. Ohhh i love Salt scrubs too! My recipe is Seasalt, a little bit SLSA, safflower oil and glycerine.
    I scentet mine always with Lemon and Orange with Sandalwood and Patchouli, or Margarita or an other fresh scent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your salt scrubs sound great! I also love your scent combos. I bet they smell good!

      Delete
  2. Scrubs are so fun! I'm a huge fan of Lavender and Coconut in mine. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love salt scrubs soo much!! I like mostly florals and citruses (and when they are blended together I go crazy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love floral and citrus too. I should try blending them together!

      Delete
  4. I love sugar scrubs. My sister-in-law found out I make them and I am now her new best friend! LOL. At least I know what to give her every year for Christmas =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made a sugar scrub this past weekend and I used wintery candy apple and I love them so much. I've never tried a salt scrub before I'm going to have to look into trying one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts