Sunday, September 8, 2013

lavender martini with a twist

I've never actually made a real lavender martini (must search for a recipe), but I do love the fragrance in soap!  I get mine from Nature's Garden. I finally got my act together and made soap and a video.  I've been happily using up my recent soaps, with one of my favorites being my Mantra Swirl soap I made in July.  I wish I would've made more of it.  The fragrance and texture of the soap is amazing.  Since I really liked Hippie Chick from Rustic Escentuals (used in my Mantra Swirl soap) I decided to add a touch of that to this soap.  I'm very happy with how it turned out.

With the exception of shampoo bars, I have decided not to use castor oil in my soaps anymore.  I still have soaps left with it, but my new recipes won't have any.  I realized I prefer the creaminess of my soaps without it.

My goal when choosing oils is to try to buy locally first.  It's just so nice to be able to drive somewhere and pick up a gallon of oil and make soap with it right away.  I still have to order most of my oils, but at least I can find olive and rice bran oil locally.

My lavender martini twist soap was made with pomace olive oil, rice bran oil, organic/sustainable palm oil, and coconut oil.  I also added about 0.5 oz ppo nonfat greek yogurt.  The soap behaved beautifully, but silly me let it overheat a little in the mold.  It was softer than my usual recipes so I am going to add some shea butter back in.  I realized that having a little butter in there always seems to help with the hardness as well as creating a milder bar of soap.  I am going to skip the yogurt for this next batch and add 1 or 2% sodium lactate back in.  I love that stuff!  I went with one of my favorite designs, an in the pot swirl (ITPS).


Here's the making of it video too!


20 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Milla! Love the lavender theme of your soap, and the formula seems nice. I used to add a high % of castor oil in soaps, but now I am using it less, and I like my soaps more.
    And Greek yougurt in soap is lovely, makes the soaps so creamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love lavender soaps. Maybe I will keep the Greek yogurt in my soaps as I love creamy soaps. It can only help. :)

      Delete
  2. P.S. I have a new blog-adress, you can find me here: http://fairytaleseifen.blogspot.de/
    Greetings from Germany ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the update! I've updated it and also updated the blogs I follow on my blog!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous soap, Milla! Great video, too. That's such a pretty purple, and I love the swirl! I've got to try yogurt in soap someday. I recently used some rice bran oil and really liked how that batch turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love purple soaps. I don't put yogurt in my soap much, but sometimes it's nice to do. Not sure if I will use rice bran oil again. Amy from Greatcakes Soapworks mentioned TD crackling from it and the two times I've used it recently I've had TD crackling and I never get it otherwise.

      Delete
  4. Very beautiful..love the swirling and lavender martini sounds so lovely! Rice bran oil is one of my faves..I have to order it online though, as it's not available locally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a pretty fragrance. It doesn't smell like lavender much though! I really love RBO in body products and I'm thankful I can get it locally for cheap.

      Delete
  5. What's not to love about a soap with the word martini in it? ;) Beautiful soap Milla and a great video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful soap Milla! I love the swirls =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty swirl and I love that lavender color. The fragrance sounds wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful twists and swirls, I love it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful swirl and what a gorgeous soap,Milla! I just wonder if there is any particular reason for giving up on castor! I,personally, love it and I believe many do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think my reason for giving up on castor oil is because it speeds up trace, wanted to simplify my soap recipe, and with my new recipe with cocoa butter I actually like the soap better without castor. It has more creaminess to it. But I still use a lot in shampoo bars and sometimes in salt bars.

      Delete