I wasn't going to post my soap yet as I still have another attempt to do, but I didn't think it would be fair NOT to show my soap failure! I still like it, but it is not at all what I planned to do.
Before I explain, I just want to say a big thank you to Amy from Great Cakes Soapworks for putting on this soap challenge! I'm sure it was a lot of work for her (since it was for me) and I was able to learn so much from this experience. I think it's important to grow creatively otherwise I'll end up stagnating! This was the perfect challenge for me.
The final week was leopard spots. Amy discovered this technique from Cee (Oil & Butter), who found this technique on a cake design video. How creative! So of course we all have to try this! Check out the latest link-ups for the final challenge week here. Oh and it was a challenge! I saw many a people had to do this at least twice and sometimes three times! Us soapmakers are a group of perfectionists for sure!
Everything seemed to go wrong for me. I used a different soap recipe, which was a mistake. It had too much palmitic and stearic acid in it along with castor oil. Great for speeding up trace. Then I had my lye water too hot so that was the end there! My soap was SO thick, but at least it didn't sieze. I colored my soap wrong. I started coloring it pink before I separated off my colors for black and white!!!! Ugh, so now I had to go with with light pink instead of white. I was hoping to go with my tiger stripe theme of pink, black and white. Oh well. I misjudged how much batter I needed for the stripes and had way too much for the stripes. I used a narrow mold....trying getting a hand in there! Impossible. But, it's soap and it smells delicious! It's a fruity blend with pinnapple, lemon, lime, peaches, and white gardenia. So yummy and pretty!
No fancy photography here, but here it is!
Now I am going to admire what everyone else made and plan my next attempt. Hopefully I can do a video too! I will just have to do the exact opposite of my last attempt and then maybe it will work!
On a side note, I got a new ideal for a soap design! I could just pipe stripes back and forth like I did on the top and get spots that way.